Complex Care, Nutrition and Wellness Services To Keep You Healthy
At Community Health Center of Cape Cod, we know keeping you healthy is as important as taking care of you when you’re sick or not feeling well. That is especially important for patients with complex or chronic medical conditions.
Complex Care Program
The Complex Care Program at CHC is a primary care-based program that addresses the needs of patients with complex needs and multiple co-morbidities. C Our program focuses on assisting patients who may have one or more chronic continuous or episodic health conditions expected to last 12 or more months. The Complex Care Team works with patients’ primary care providers to devise a wellness plan that may incorporate dietary changes, exercise, education and guidance.
Upcoming goals for the Complex Care program include:
- Engage and empower patients to be full partners in their care
- Ensure health goals and plans of care are documented with all patients
- Continuously improve participation in patient portal (MyChart)
- Continue to conduct health screening and develop integrated care plans based on patient centered goals
- Risk stratify all primary care patients, and have a care plan in place for all high-risk patients
- Further integrate medication management for patients by adding pharmacy services to the Health Center’s Falmouth and Bourne locations
Many of the chronic health conditions our patients face can be greatly improved by dietary changes. With education, guidance, and support by our staff nutritionist, we have seen many successful patient outcomes. Using a model of integrated care, our nutritionist communicates with a patient’s primary care provider to devise an appropriate treatment plan, and progress is tracked by the healthcare team. With this information, our patients receive the support from their team necessary to reach their health goals.
Nutrition services are provided to all in need. In addition to education and diet planning for patients with chronic diseases, nutrition services are available for all patients in need of nutritional guidance or who are identified as at-risk due to elevated body mass index (BMI) measurements and other health concerns.
For information about nutrition services, please contact Nutritionist Dena Irwin: 508-477-7090 ext. 1184.
The Health Center was instrumental in forming a county-wide collaboration that strives to reduce health care costs by preventing or controlling chronic health conditions. Led by the Barnstable County Department of Human Services, this broad-based coalition takes aim at diabetes, hypertension and falls among the elderly. Through this program, Health Center patients are referred to health, social, wellness and fitness activities provided by community partners at no cost to the patient.
Patients are encouraged to attend weekly My Life, My Health classes, which include lessons on eating healthy, how to reduce sodium intake, and how to cut sugars out of your diet. Tai Chi Matter of Balance classes are also offered on site at various times throughout the year.
Workshops are highly interactive, provide mutual support and build participants’ confidence to manage their health and remain active.
- Dealing with difficult emotions
- Physical activity and exercise
- Muscle relaxation and guided imagery
- Pain and fatigue management
- Healthy eating
- Communication skills
- Medication usage
- Making informed treatment decisions
- Healthy Living Cape Cod – CHC will once again be hosting the My Life, My Health program, consisting of six-week workshops for adults living with chronic health conditions on the following dates in our Mashpee office:
Mondays, January 29-March 12, 1:00-3:30 PM. If you have any questions please contact Patty Parker in Complex Care.
For more information about the Health Center’s Wellness Classes, please call 508-477-7090 ext. 1181. You can also visit the CHC calendar for a listing of all upcoming events.
Learn to be healthy
These programs and classes will help you get and stay healthy.
Making healthy choices
Our workshops help you make healthy choices.
We take an engaging, positive approach to health education.